Prep time: - minutes | Cook time: - minutes | Serves: -
The Kentucky Delight, concocted at Louisville's Meta, brings flavors of the Middle East to a classic julep. “The saffron and rose add floral and herbal notes, which give a bit of lightness to the brandy,” says bar manager Amy Fisher. “The black pepper and cardamom add a little punch of flavor that compliments the aged spirit. The date palm sugar adds a rich and nutty flavor that unites all of the flavors. The Kentucky Delight comes from the marriage of those flavors and the typical use of powdered sugar to garnish mint juleps, which brought the dessert Turkish Delight to mind.”
*Recipe courtesy of Meta
For the julep
- 1.5 ounces Copper & Kings craft brandy
- 1/2 ounce Copper & Kings Butchertown brandy
- 1/4 ounce spiced date syrup
- For garnish mint sprigs and rose dust
For the spiced date syrup
- 16 ounces water
- 16 ounces date palm sugar (coconut palm sugar can be used in a pinch, check your local asian grocer or google it)
- 30 saffron threads
- 20 black peppercorns
- 15 rose hips (get extra to crush for rose dust garnish!)
- 12 cardamom pods
To make the spiced date syrup
- Add saffron, pepper corns, rose hips and cardamom to water and slowly heat to 180 degrees.
- Add 16 ounces of date palm sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Rest the mixture for 30 minutes to cool, then strain into a clear container and refrigerate until use.
To make the julep
- Combine ingredients in mixing glass, stirring to incorporate. Fill julep or rocks glass with crushed ice, pour mixture over ice and lightly swizzle.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and rose dust.