Pickled okra in jars — Photo courtesy of iStock / Newell's photography
Prep time: - | Cook time: - | Serves: -
Pickling okra is a great way to capture the bounty of summer and be able to enjoy it later in the year, after the vegetable is out of season.
- Small whole okra – about 1 1/2 pounds, enough to tightly fill 3 pint jars
- 3 red serrano chili peppers
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Place okra vertically in each jar lining the sides and filling tightly.
- Add one chili, one garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon of dill to each jar.
- Next, heat the water, vinegar and salt in saucepan and bring to a full boil.
- Fill the jars with liquid leaving 1/4 space at the top of each jar.
- Seal in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 1 to 6 weeks before enjoying. Refrigerate after opening.
This easy fried okra makes a great side dish or appetizer