Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Serves: 4
Cheese fondue can't be beat. It's hot and gooey and delicious, and it's impossible not to feel all kinds of cozy when eating a pot of melted fromage on a cold winter night. It's kind of like Jack Frost's answer to a summer barbecue or to a beachside margarita.
So how can you improve upon perfection? Add beer to the mix. In this case, quite literally.
Adding Guinness to this cheese fondue creates and even richer and more comforting appetizer. It might not be necessary, but excess really is what it's all about when it comes to creating the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1/2 pound White cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Fontina Cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 Pinch Paprika
- To taste Sea salt
- Bring beer to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- In a large bowl, toss both cheeses with cornstarch to coat. Then add to the beer mixture in large handfuls. Stir until completely melted before adding more.
- Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper sauce, and paprika.
- Season to taste with salt. Then transfer to a fondue pot and serve immediately.