Prep time: 90 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Serves: 4
Mango season is the best season. A sweet, succulent, ripe mango is a thing of beauty, but the tropical fruit is underrated for its use in sauces and chutneys.
It's a surprisingly versatile ingredient that is powerful enough to change the flavor of anything it touches, but it also mingles well with other intense flavors without overpowering them.
In these mango chili chicken wings, the sweetness of the mango gets an umami blast from fish sauce, a red hot kick from chili paste and a little zest from ginger. Basically, it's everything you want in one perfect bite-sized appetizer.
- 3 large mangos, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon organic molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds (about 24) chicken wings , wingtips removed or drumettes rinsed and patted dry
- To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For garnish chopped scallions
- Place all ingredients (minus chicken, salt, pepper and scallions) into a high-speed blender. Puree until smooth.
- Place chicken wings in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Coat with 1/2 cup of mango-chili sauce, set the rest of the sauce aside for later. Sprinkle wings with sesame seeds and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grease a grill or grill pan. Grill the wings for about 5 minutes on each side, or until opaque and fully cooked through.
- While wings cook, place reserved sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add a few teaspoons of water until the desired consistency is reached. If the sauce is too thin, continue to cook until thick.
- Toss chicken wings in 1/4 cup of sauce (or brush sauce on them) and place on a serving platter.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and diced mangoes, and serve with remaining mango-chili sauce on the side for dipping.