Prep time: - minutes | Cook time: - minutes | Serves: -
Walla Walla, Washington's Cenex station might look like an ordinary gas station, but inside is one of the best restaurants in the state. Andrae's Kitchen, run by chef Andrae Bopp, serves up everything from freshly baked turmeric bread to a Northwest-raised bacon cheddar brisket burger on a from-scratch potato bun to short rib and pear salsa tacos served on housemade tortillas made using nixtamlized corn from Oaxaca.
One of Andrae's best sellers is his AK's grilled corn salad, the chef's take on esquites – Mexican street corn usually served in a styrofoam cup straight from a cart (basically off-the-cob elote).
Andrae's version of the sweet and spicy, smoky and tangy corn salad is mixed with parmesan, cayenne pepper, lime juice and aioili (or mayo), served on a bed of tortillas and topped with cilantro. Eating gas station food at home never tasted so good.
*Recipe courtesy of Andrae Bopp.
- 12 ears fresh local corn
- ¼ cup + more as needed shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon + more as needed cayenne pepper
- ½ cup + more as need aioli (can substitute good quality mayonnaise)
- To taste lime Juice
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper
- For base tortilla chips
- For garnish cilantro
- Shuck and grill the corn on the BBQ, turning regularly and making sure that each side has some char on it. Remove from grill and cut the kernels off the cob.
- Place the grilled corn in a large bowl and add the cheese, cayenne and aioli. Mix well. Add more of each ingredient as needed to get the desired consistency. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place the tortilla strips on the plate and top with several spoonful’s of the corn mixture. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.