Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 2 minutes | Serves: 4
You don't really need to do much to mangoes to turn them into an exciting snack. When they're ripe, mangoes are about the sweetest, juiciest delights that nature has to offer. But if you're willing to spend 5 minutes you can take them to the next level: grilled them and top them with whipped honey ricotta.
Grilling a mango brings out its natural sweetness, and almost caramelizes its sugar while adding a smoky taste. The whipped honey ricotta, refrigerated and creamy, gives you a playful hot-and-cold, meaty and creamy juxtaposition of temperature and texture.
As one last balancing act of taste and texture, top the grilled mangoes off with a pinch of sea salt and a crunchy pinch of pistachios for a dish that hits on all notes and feels mildly decadent, but is light and satisfying.
- 2 fresh, whole mangoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Cut fresh mango to remove cheeks. Brush with oil.
- While the grill is preheating, make the whipped honey ricotta: in a medium bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the ricotta and honey, and whip again to incorporate.
- Place mangos on the center of the grill, flesh side down. Grill for 1 minute, then rotate the mangos 90 degrees and grill for 1 more minute.
- To assemble, spoon the ricotta over each grilled mango. Add pistachios, a drizzle of honey, and a pinch of sea salt. Serve warm.