Prep time: - minutes | Cook time: - minutes | Serves: -
Cauliflower is the new kale. Everyone's favorite vegetable is certainly having a moment, beloved not just for its impressive nutritional profile, high fiber content and antioxidant-rich properties, but also for its ability to hold up to any number of cooking methods and downright shape-shift.
These days the de riguer vegetable is used as a substitute for everything from dough to pasta to chicken in dishes like cauliflower-crust pizza, 'mac' and cheese and even Buffalo 'wings.'
But in our minds, cauliflower is perfect when it's playing the role of, well, cauliflower.
In its classic roasted form, cauliflower is delicately sweet, a touch nutty, and even a bit meaty in texture. And in this recipe, courtesy of The Surf Lodge, cashew tahini and honey-garlic dressing bring out its natural flavor.
*Recipe courtesy of The Surf Lodge, via The Food Channel.
For the roasted cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper
- As desired white grapes, halved
- For garnish chopped cashews, scallions and chopped parsley
For the honey-garlic dressing
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the cashew tahini
- 2 cups roasted cashews
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
To make the cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut one head cauliflower into florets and place in a bowl.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss with olive oil. Place on large rimmed baking sheet with garlic cloves. Roast the cauliflower, tossing occasionally, until almost tender, 30-35 minutes.
- When cauliflower is cooked and golden brown, remove from oven, place in bowl and lightly toss with sumac and the halved white grapes.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a serving bowl and drizzle a liberal amount of cashew tahini over the top, followed by some of the honey chili vinaigrette.
- Garnish with chopped cashews, scallions and chopped parsley.
For the honey garlic dressing
- In small pot, combine grapeseed oil and sliced garlic. Bring oil to 160F and toast garlic until golden brown.
- Add dried chipotle and remove from heat. Blend grapeseed oil mixture. Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl and cool.
For the cashew tahini
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place cashews in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- When cashews are ready, remove from baking sheet and cool. Place cashews, water, garlic, lemon juice and salt in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly pour and incorporate the grapeseed oil.