Homemade fried okra — Photo courtesy of iStock / bhofack2
Prep time: - | Cook time: - | Serves: 6-8
Fried okra is a Southern tradition and this recipe, which makes for a great side dish or appetizer, will become your new favorite way to enjoy these fiber-packed veggie nuggets.
- 2 pounds okra
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Slice okra in 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk to combine. Add sliced okra and coat.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
- In a pot with tall sides, add oil and heat to 350 degrees. Don’t overfill the pot.
- Working in batches, dredge wet okra in flour mixture and place individual pieces in hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, salt to taste and serve.
Roast your okra in the oven to make it less slimy