Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Serves: 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet white onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted (optional garnish)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced (optional garnish)
- Pour the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot and warm over low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, thyme, salt, and white pepper. Heat on medium. Stir and cook until the mixture glistens with oil, then cover the pot and cook lowering the heat, stirring frequently. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower into the pot and pour in the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat so that the broth simmers gently and cook, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender. This soup is best when it is very smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with a few toasted walnuts and a pinch of minced parsley.