Roasted okra pieces — Photo courtesy of iStock / SageElyse
Prep time: - | Cook time: - | Serves: 6-8
Oven-roasting is one of the healthier ways to prepare okra. Plus, when you cook okra at high heat, it reduces the slimy texture, so you can enjoy this vegetable in all its flavorful, crunchy glory without the off-putting mouthfeel.
- 2 pounds of okra
- 1 red onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim stem ends of okra, leaving the cap in place.
- Peel onion and cut into 6 wedges leaving root end intact.
- Peel garlic and cut in half, leaving large chunks.
- Place okra, onion and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with fresh mint.
- Roast on a high shelf in oven for 10-15 minutes, until just tender.
Pickle your okra now so you can enjoy it later