Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Serves: 6
We know, we know. A kale salad – how original. But kale became Kale for a reason: it's nutrient-rich, high in fiber, iron and calcium, and has tons of antioxidants. Most importantly, science has proven kale gives us mere mortals the ability to live forever...or at least it might.
This high-powered kale salad is mixed with protein-rich quinoa for a healthy meal that will give you the fuel you need to keep you energized throughout the day or help you recover from an intense work.
A simple dressing of mustard, honey, oil and vinegar gives the salad a a sweet and tangy flavor that's high in good fats and low in calories. Plus, it just might help you live forever. We'll update once science gets back to us.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon honey Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups tri-color quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cups chopped kale, ribs removed and discarded
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 red-skinned apple, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the dressing
- Whisk the vinegar with the oil, lemon juice, honey and mustard until well combined. Set aside.
For the salad
- Bring the broth and quinoa to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until all the broth has been absorbed. Cool completely.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss onion, kale, chicken, apple, salt and pepper with prepared dressing. Stir in the cooled quinoa.