Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Serves: 4
The key to this sandwich – and probably the biggest difference between it and a classic BEC – is using thick-cut sourdough bread, which is cooked in a butter-filled pan to give it a gold-brown, extra savory crunch and uber gooey cheese.
Slightly decadent? Yes. Worth every single calorie? Absolutely.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel
- 4 scrambled eggs
- 4 slices baked bacon
- 4 slices aged sharp cheddar
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for scrambling eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, for making sandwiches
- 8 slices thickly cut sourdough
- To taste salt and pepper
- Turn stove on to medium-high heat. Then crumble the bacon and add to a cast iron skillet. Once it begins to sizzle, add a tablespoon of unsalted butter and then the eggs.
- Scramble until softly set, remove from pan. Add a small pat of butter to pan, then place a slice of sourdough bread in the pan and top it with a slice of cheddar.
- Scoop out a fourth of the bacon and egg mixture and spread evenly across the bread. Top with a slice of mozzarella and the other slice of bread. Flip once the first piece of bread is lightly browned and cook on the other side until the bread is golden and cheese is melted.