A great vacation can be relived again and again through great photos. Our travel photography expert, Joanne DiBona, shares tips on how to take the best travel pics.
Photo courtesy of Manuel-F-O/iStock1. Fill the frame
Less is more. Concentrate on the most important part of the scene.
2. Put things in perspective
Add people or objects to give your landscape a sense of scale.
3. Shoot from the hip, try a different angle
Be creative. Crouch down or climb up for a new perspective.
4. Switch to black & white for drama
Think Ansel Adams. Don’t be afraid to experiment with B & W.
5. Frame your scene for maximum impact
Add depth by framing your photo. Use portals, windows, columns, tree branches.
6. Wait for the right moment
Things can change instantly. Be patient. Wait for the best shot.
7. Put people in your travel scene
People in your photo add reality, scale and human interest.
8. Dare to shoot into the sun
Shoot into sunrises and sunsets to create scenes with subjects in silhouette.
9. Add a touch of vibrant color to your photos
Bright colors like red or yellow in the foreground make photos pop.
10. Keep your lens clean
Sad but true. Many a perfect photo or video are ruined by a spotty lens.